Party „Free Georgia” comments on the investigation of the case concerning Tsotne Gamsakhurdia’s assault. As supporters of Gamsakhurdia's family, we also tried to avoid categorical versions during the first days of the investigation and did not cause any speculation until the investigation had yielded concrete results.
Even today, we refrain from confirming or rejecting any version affirmatively, though some circumstances arise particular questions and doubts:
1. Upon spreading of the news of the attack, the government media and the troll factory affiliated with them began working on the version that Tsotne Gamsakhurdia himself had quarreled with his neighbors, after which the latter inflicted some damage on him. This version even preceded the arrest of the accused.
2. The investigation also works to justify the same version: they have published and provided the government televisions only with testimonies of the accused, giving the impression that the rumors circulated by the government trolls on the social network were somehow substantiated. After lawyer of the family Amiran Giguashvili got acquainted with the case file, it became apparent that the materials, which were legally or illegally provided by the investigation to the press were not complete and did not reflect the real picture.
3. The information released by the family lawyer indicates important circumstance that Tsotne Gamsakhurdia consumed less alcohol than other members of the table, and the conflict began not at the table but at the entrance to the Gamsakhurdia’s residebnce (Kolkh tower), where several people ambushed Gamsakhurdia. Accordingly, the picture depicted by the defendants, the government media, and the trolls factory, as if "drunk" Tsotne deliberately triggered a quarrel - is far from reality.
4. Such wounds cannot be inflicted in circumstances persistently claimed by the government media: crutches, a hand-held blade or even by a regular knife, these types of injuries (especially the skull) - can only be sustained if one person fixes the head and the other – wounded by heavy, sharp blows. This eliminates the need for a version of the "flexible knife" within the necessary repulsion or in times of strong spiritual excitement.
5. Until present, no comments have been made by the authorities regarding the possible motive for the crime, which is related to the investigation of the case of the first President of the country, the main initiator of which was Tsotne Gamsakhurdia.
6. Some of Tsotne’s friends say that he was expecting the attack himself for the a/m reason. On the other hand, in December 2018 by an official statement by former Prosecutor General and now a member of the Supreme Court, Shalva Tadumadze, it is known that the investigation of the death of the President under his personal control would be completed shortly. Exactly one year has passed - the investigation still keeps silence.
If the public does not hear convincing explanations from the investigation, the version, that the assault on Tsotne Gamsakhurdia may actually be linked to the "subversion" of the assassination of Zviad Gamsakhurdia, should be actually considered.
Against the background of the country's zero confidence in the justice system, all of the above circumstances will make us skeptical about the course of the investigation.
In the coming days Party “Free Georgia” will hand over the publicized part of the case materials to international organizations and demand carrying out of international monitoring on the ongoing investigation of the assault on Tsotne Gamsakhurdia in accordance with international practice.